Jacob Zollinger Life History Part 5


We left on the 25th of April, our wagons heavily loaded with oats for the mail sta­tions along the way.  Two teams were required for each wagon. I was called as a teamster furnishing my own team of mules, my second team belonging to Daniel Lau. Other team­sters were Alexander Fleming, John Zweifel, and Ulrich Trauber, with Thomas E. Ricks as captain. Tithing credit was $75.00 for a teamster and $150.00 for a man, team and a wagon, the trip taking about five months. We traveled north to Preston, ldaho and followed the Bear River up through Gentil Valley to Soda Springs, Idaho. Here we connected with the Oregon Trail which took a southeasterly course to Montpelier, Idaho and then over the mountain to what is now Cokeville, Wyoming. Above normal precipitation and high water in all the streams we had to cross made traveling slow and difficult.

An unusual experience occurred one day we approached a bluff. I was in the lead and my mules balked and refused to go on. Upon investigation we found a great many dead Indians on the top of this bluff as evidence that a battle had ensued. We made a detour around this hill and continued our journey by way of the Sublette Cutoff and to the Green River where we had to ferry our outfits across. We crossed the Big and Little Sandy Rivers, then crossed the Continental Divide or South Pass, followed the Sweet Water River to Independence Rock and forded the North Platte river east of Casper Wyoming.  The course of the Oregon and Mormon Trail then paralleled the North Platte River into Nebraska.

We reached Omaha in June and camped on the banks of the Missouri River and waited for three weeks for the emigrants to arrive. The steamship with the emigrants aboard put ashore at our camp site. How fortunate I was to be here and not seven miles up stream at it’s usual landing place. I was over joyed to find among the passengers, my sister Anna and her husband, John Ulrich Haderli and their four children. It had been four year since we left Switzerland.  Anna and her family had been living in our old home and had written to us a year previous about losing their property and that her husband had become a member ofthe church and of their great desire to come to Zion. To help them emigrate to America I was able to turn into the Salt Lake Tithing Office, one load of oats and two four hundred pound hogs in exchange for their emigration fees.  All the arrangements for this transaction were made by Sister Lau who was then living in Salt Lake City. Later she and her husband lived in Providence across the street west of Theurer’s Store.

With permission from the captain of our company to take Anna and her family in my wagon, I proceeded to make them as comfort­able as possible. My sister was the happiest woman to be able to come to Zion and be united with the family again. Anna always thought a great deal of me and was glad I was there to meet them. I encouraged them in the gospel and told them how things were in our new home. Before departing she made me bathe in the river while she boiled my clothes to rid me of lice.

We averaged 20 to 30 miles a day on our trek across the plains. We were the first to leave, of our two mule trains, thus having the advantage of good feed and a choice of camp­ing sites. The others were ox teams, four or eight animals to each wagon.

There were also three men in a white top buggy traveling with us, one of them was a son of the Prophet Joseph Smith. We forded all the streams except the Green River and had to use four teams of mules on a wagon to ford the one mile span of the Platte river. The captain of the company did the hunting and provided the venison for the entire com­pany, the teamsters receiving their portion first. After we had crossed the Big and Little Sandy Ricers, my sister’s little girl (Caroline was born on the voyage over the Atlantic Ocean) died. We placed her in a food supply box and buried her along the trail. This was a very trying experience for them. We ferried our outfits across the Green River, crossed a stream called Ham’s Fork and then onto Fort Bridget. By now our mules were becoming thin even though we had sufficient grain to feed them. We had just crossed the Bear River and was approaching Echo Canyon when another of my sister’s girls, Emily, died. (Jacob Zollinger’s original life history and another source say her name was actually Anna.)  We didn’t have a box to put her in so we wrapped her in a blanket and buried her by the trail. It was very hard for them to leave their dear Emily but we had to go on with the company. Down through Emigration Canyon and to the great Salt Lake Valley we traveled. At last we came to rest in the tithing office coral, located where the Hotel Utah now stands. People from a wide area came to welcome their loved ones. The teamsters were released to return to their homes. We arrived in Cache Valley on a Sunday, September 15, 1866 and you may guess how we were received. It was a joyous occasion.


It was in the winter of 1869 that I had one of my neighbors, John Haderli, who was a good carpenter, make me a box for my sleigh and after buying a good team, off I went to court the prettiest girl in Clarkston. She was quite tall, composed, medium complexion and exhibited the qualities of a good home­maker. “Such were the sentiments of Jacob Zollinger as he first met Rosetta Loosli, daughter of Ulrich Loosli and Magdalena Aeschimann, in a church meeting in 1864, shortly after the Loosli’s moved to Providence.” I didn’t go with her too much while she lived in Providence as the family soon moved to Clarkston, Utah, where they built a home in 1866.

The Loosli family emigrated to Salt Lake City in 1860. Rosetta was the oldest of three children. Her two younger brothers were John and Jabez. The family made their home in the Eighteenth Ward in Salt Lake City. For the next four years Ulrich assisted in building the Salt Lake Temple. To his daughter, Rosetta, then ten, came the privilege to en­roll in the Carl G. Maeser’s school and also to be errand girl for the family. She drove their two cows belonging to President Brigham Young, to and from his pasture each day, a distance of three miles. His pasture was in the area where the present Hot Springs are now located. Most every day she took her father’s lunch to him at the temple and went to the tithing office for the family needs of food and clothing which was her Father’s pay in his profession as a cabinetmaker. Years later he made the casket for Martin Harris who died in Clarkston on July 1O, 1875. In telling about their journey to Cache Valley in the fall of 1864, Rosetta said, “When we made camp for the night I had to sleep on the ground and when I awoke one morning I was surprised to find myself covered over with a blanket of snow.”

When I returned from working on the Central Pacific Railroad in the fall of 1868, I made frequent visits to the Loosli home in Clarkston. When Brother Myler and some of his friends would see me coming into town they would say, “This little runt comes to get our girl.” They agreed that she was the prettiest girl in town. We had many good times together and went to the best dances which were then held in Providence. No one liked to dance better than I did and I al­ways saw to it that I had a good pair of shoes for dancing, sometimes dancing until 5 a.m. and then going about my days work full of spirit and with plenty of ambition. Whenever the violinist, Chris “Fiddler” Jensen, was scheduled to play for a dance I could hardly wait. I had one foot already off the floor. On occasions when grand­mother didn’t care to dance I would take one of my Nieces to the dance. Among some of my favorite dancing partners were Verona Tibbitts and Sophia Thorpe, sisters of John and Barbara W. Theurer. At the age of ninety my partner and I were awarded a prize for dancing the “Suvianna” atthe Providence Old Folks party.

On the 9th of May, 1870, in a wagon drawn by a lively  pair of mules, we went to Salt Lake City and were married in the Endowment House by President Joseph F. Smith. It seemed we were meant for each other. Our marriage was not for time only but for all eternity, to arise as husband and wife in the first resurrection.

We lived with our folks for a while until we moved into our own log house. We had a new stove while others only had fireplaces. From some logs which I got out of the canyon and sawed into finishing lumber, Brother Hafter, a cabinet maker in Logan, made us a set of furniture. We had a good team, cows and plenty to live on. We were a happy couple, Ma and I. We had full faith in the gospel and in the Lord Jesus Christ. We made a deal of money and always paid a full tithing to the church. “For quite a number of years grandfather always referred to his wife, Ma.”

Mr. Lindquist, father of the proprietor of the Lindquist Mortuary in Logan, made Ma a rocking chair that she liked very much.  It was in this same easy chair, forty-eight years later, at the age of sixty-seven, that she suddenly passed away.

Many times throughout my life I had been called out to administer to the sick. Shortly after we were married Rosetta was suffering from a painful toothache and had asked me to administer to her, which I did, but the pain persisted. I felt very bad about this and went into another room and called upon the Lord in prayer. She again asked me to bless her and before I had taken my hands off her head the pain had left. Such was her faith. We have witnessed the power of the Priesthood made manifest in our home many times.


Her vegetable and flower garden always had the appearance of being well cared for. No one had a better garden.  In addition to all this, whenever possible, she would help in milking the cows and sharpening the machine knives on the old grinding stone during the busy harvest season. She learned to spin and from the wool we obtained from our sheep, she spun and prepared it to be woven into clothing. In reference to her busy life, grandfather said, “She was the hardest working woman in Providence.”  She was always there to help, whether it was a sore finger, a lame back or clothes needing mending.   She would always say, “Come and I will fix it for you.”


April 8, 1889 to September 1891

At the mission training school in Salt Lake City, Jacob Zollinger was promised in a blessing that he would overcome all things and be successful in obtaining the genealogy of his progenitors. “I left my wife and family of nine children, to go out into the world to preach the ever-lasting gospel and to bear testimony to the truth. Soon after my arrival in the mission field, I was set apart as President of the East-Swiss Confer­ence. As my travels took me over this entire district, I chose to go to Urdorf to see my relations and our old home.  The night before I dreamed that a bear came after me, but I was successful in overcoming him. On calling upon my relations, a minister came to try to confound me. He came after me like the bear in my dream, but he couldn’t confound me.”

Emilee’s Notes:

The author has taken some poetic license with this life history….I will be scanning the original 27 page life history that was typed by Jacob Zollinger soon.  This version is a condensed version with a few added parts for clarity, but I prefer his own words, unadulterated.  I made a map of the route (approximately) Jacob took with his sister Anna and her family.

It brings tears to my eyes to think of this faithful couple losing two of their little girls on this difficult journey.  From Frankhistory.com I have found out a few extra details about Anna and John Haderli.  Their baby Caroline was born on 23 May 1866 on the ship as they crossed the Atlantic Ocean and died on 23 June 1866 right after they crossed the Little and Big Sandy Rivers.  Their 6 year old daughter Anna died as they entered Echo Canyon just days before they reached the Salt Lake Valley.  My heart aches for this family.  According to Frankhistory.com John and Anna Haderli had 12 children but only 4 of them grew to maturity.  Click here to see their family group sheet. Between 1860 and 1871 she gave birth to 7 children and they all died either during infancy or early childhood.  After 11 years of having children and losing them, she finally had two girls Laura Rosalia and Ella Elizabeth to accompany her two older children Louisa and Charles.  (Ella lived to age 90!)


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s